Thursday, February 15, 2007

Techniques

So, there are a lot of techniques out there that I want to learn and some that I have no intention of trying to do anytime soon, because I envision the frustration, and I'm not feeling it.

I have learned quite a few new things (well, all new things since I just started knitting in October). I am proud of figuring out double points. I'm not perfect at them, but I figured out how to do increases and decreases on them. The hardest part was when I had to leave some stitches on a stitch holder and then come back to them later. I still don't understand which yarn I'm supposed to be using when I'm going back to those stitches later. I kind of just improvised and started out with a new piece (which made the first couple of rounds loose, but I jimmy rigged it later). At one point, I went back to some stitches on the holder and started knitting them and realized like 10 rows up that I was knitting inside out. That was interesting. This is the point where I mastered another technique - unraveling and starting again.

I really like working on circular needles, and I wish I could make socks on circular needles (cause I really want to make some jamming socks and legwarmers), but I think they will need to be done on the double points. If you don't know what any of this crap is that I'm talking about, and you have any interest in knowing more - here are some videos.
The circular needles are easy peezy once you get past that first round of tight stitches.

I woke up around 6am this morning for no reason, and I have been terminally bored since. So, I started two new projects. One is a change purse for my sister, Lisa, to match the makeup bag I made her for XMas. Nextly is another purse (I'm making lots of purses, yes?) made out of the same type of yarn that the green-y metallic-y one is made out of that I posted about earlier. The yarn is called Moda Dea Cache', and I bought a bunch of it for super cheap on eBay. The person who shipped it to me tried to make it smell nice with a dryer sheet, and they do smell nice, but I am allergic to dryer sheets. So, the whole time I'm knitting with this stuff, I'm sneezing and my nose is running. Anyway - that's all beside the point.

This pattern will allow me to learn a new technique - picking up stitches. I watched a video on how to do it earlier, and I think I've got it covered.

So, this is how this one is supposed to look when I'm done (although I'm using a different color yarn)...

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

The one that I posted a not yet finished picture of the other day is supposed to look like this (the one with the curly handles, not the long tube)...

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

So yeah. I wanna make something cool for myself. I'm itching to actually make something and then use it instead of giving it away or stashing it in the closet to give away at a later date. Pictures of B. with his v-day gift forthcoming. Aren't you excited?

And - to end, I will direct you to another knitter's blog that I have been eyeballing. Her socks are amazing and kickass.

http://knitpowerstopeace.blogspot.com/


I don't remember how I happened upon it, but I am loving all those socks.

Anyone who knows me also knows that I have a bit of a thing for socks that started when I was a kid. When I'm able to make my own pair of socks, you ain't gonna be able to tell me nothin' (that's Alabama talk for "I will think I'm the shizzle nazz").

The end.

No comments: