Monday, November 19, 2007

No dead turkeys

I am incredibly excited about Thanksgiving. I convinced my entire family to go meat free for the occasion. This is a pretty big deal. I always cook my zillions of "side items" and I skip all of the meat parts of dinner, but this will be the first year ever in which there is NO MEAT at all being made for Thanksgiving in my family. I am really really proud of everyone for going along with me on this. I hope my dishes do not disappoint. Here are my menu ideas:

- tofu pot pie
- glazed carrots
- fresh steamed brussels sprouts w/ walnut vinaigrette
- cornbread dressing
- mac n cheese
- broccoli/cauliflower casserole
- mushroom turnovers

Don't know about desserts - probably sweet potato or pumpkin pie and whatever else - maybe banana bread or apple something cause I have apples and bananas that need some attention.

Also, I was thinking....only *thinking* (because I already have a lot on my plate so to speak ) about trying to do the seitan roast. I really think I might try it though because it sounds awesome. Maybe I will make an extra pan of dressing and make a stuffed roast....

Anyway - I feel like a million bucks for not having any meat on the table this year. Thanks to a Publix commercial for seriously bumming me out and instigating this whole thing (40 something turkeys later commercial).

Also - I have been knitting like a crazy person. Just this past week I finished a pair of socks, a hat for Nanny, and a Christmas tree hat. Today I am working on a pair of fingerless gloves for Lisa. They are coming along nicely I think. Will post pictures later - I'm not in the mood to fiddle with technology at the moment, I have a headache.

Powered by ScribeFire.

1 comment:

KitteeBee said...

how was the meal received? i was able to convince my parents to do this once, about 15 years ago under the condition that my mom would fix my dad cornish hens the next day.

:-(

xo
kittee